We hit the Poker WOD on a regular basis and there are a few tips that can help you get a few extra cards done during the workout. Here are a few that I use. Anyone else have Poker WOD hacks?
- Hustle between cards- when you finish one card, don’t just walk back to get the next one. RUN. It may not be far but hustling back and forth from the deck of cards will gain you time to get a couple more cards throughout the workout.
- Push Yourself On the Run- getting a wild card can chew up time that could be spent getting more cards. Don’t let yourself just jog it, push to get it done as quick as you can and get back to the deck and get your next card. Yes there will be the days that you end up with 5-6-7 run cards. On that day you won’t win but work on your run speed anyway.
- Keep your stack of cards in a strategic spot- either keep you stack by the deck, in your pocket or on the floor nearby. Having you stack clear across the room eats up time that could be spent busting out a few more reps or cards.
- Break up big sets as nec.- yes you will get that Ace and a couple tens back to back. Break up the big sets as you need to. I break Aces up into a 10 and 5, 9 and 6 or 8 and 7 to keep me going more then I am resting.
- Expect some bad cards and accept the challenge- just like getting a bunch of wild cards, you will also get the cards that are a challenge to you such as burpees. Accept your fate, dive in an finish them and work on getting better at them while you do it. Keep good form and keep pushing yourself even when you are tired. You’ll start seeing those card totals add up at the end be fitter for it.
- Get that last card- if there’s only 5-10 seconds left, grab another card and complete all the reps even if time runs out. You get credit for all the cards you finish, even past the time cutoff.
Yes, I do stack the deck sometimes- When it gets close to the end of the WOD I will start pulling the wild cards out of the deck so we don’t end up with people out there running way past the time limit. Other than that I let the Poker gods dictate what you get.
THIS WEEK’S SCHEDULE-
FRIDAY IS PARTNER WOD,
WE HAVE MONTHLY WEIGH AND MEASURE THIS WEEK.
FIRST FRIDAY FUN DEC 3RD AT 6:30 PM AT SNOW PEAK BREWERY.
WOD’S THIS WEEK- Deadlifts/run, thrusters, row/pushup/T2B, Snatches, row/box jump/situp Partner WOD, Nasty Girls Version 2
Thanksgiving Turkey Trot was a bunch of fun. Runners and walkers all did well, even our 4 footed friend, Tux! Thanks for joining in everyone. Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving!!
This Week’s Paleo Recip
Bacon and Asparagus Omelet
- 2 slices bacon diced
- 5 stalks asparagus chopped
- 3 eggs beaten
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
Cook the bacon in a nonstick skillet and remove with a slotted spoon. Add the asparagus to the pan and cook until tender. Remove and add to the bacon, leaving as much fat behind as you can.
Add the eggs and cook for a minute until the edges are set. Lift the edges carefully and let the liquid flow underneath the edges. Top with the bacon, asparagus and Parmesan. Carefully fold in half and continue cooking until eggs are done.
Slide onto a plate and serve.
SEE YOU AT THE GYM!!